First, the bad news: by the time February rolls around, 80 percent of us will have broken our New Year’s resolutions, according to U.S. News and World Report. (Yikes.) As for the other 20 percent? Maybe they’re possessed of superhuman willpower. Maybe they’re among those people who resolve not to make resolutions. Or maybe, just maybe, they make resolutions that are actually fun to keep. Ahead, seven beauty resolutions that aren’t just rewarding in the long term—they’ll make you feel good while you’re actually doing them. Take that, crunches.
Start each morning with a glass of lemon water
It’s a simple step that doesn’t cost much time or money but has a major impact on the way your body functions, looks and feels. Let’s face it: most of us don’t drink enough water. Squeezing half a lemon into a glass of H20 not only gets you closer to the daily recommended 64 ounces, it can also curb hunger, detox your liver (yes, really!), stave off colds thanks to its antioxidants, and—beauty bonus!—help your skin look clear and radiant. We’ll drink to that.
Test-drive a trend
What better time to break out of a style rut than the New Year? Whether drastic or subtle, a hair makeover is a great way to start 2017 feeling fresh—and maybe put some holiday gift cards to good use. We’re in love with color melting, a kissing cousin of ombré that involves blending three colors together seamlessly. Because there’s no harsh root line, this color technique could see you into spring and beyond. (Read: a resolution that keeps itself.)
Take off your makeup every night
Yes, it’s something your mother would say. But you know what? Moms know what they’re talking about. So thoroughly cleanse and moisturize your skin at night, every night. We don’t want to scare you, but sleeping with your makeup on isn’t only icky—it can speed up your skin’s aging process. That’s because free radicals and residual dirt and oil cause oxidative stress and premature aging. (Just ask a dermatologist.) To make the process as enjoyable as possible, allow yourself a bit of a treat as you work—whether than means cleansing in front of your favorite TV show, sipping a hot cup of tea, or reflecting on things you’re grateful for. Believe us—your skin will thank you for it.
Bring frazzled hair back to life
You only get one face—but you get an infinite number of chances to start over when it comes to hair, which grows at a rate of approximately six inches per year. So if your strands are dull, dry or splitting after a holiday season full of heat styling, spend January giving them some much-deserved TLC. Start with booking a trim to clean up any dry, frayed ends. Avoid the blow dryer and straightener whenever possible (these curly and straight heatless style tutorials will help), and invest in a weekly hair mask like Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment or Dry Remedy Moisturizing Masque to help get things back on track. You’ll see glossy, gorgeous results before you know it—and maintain them long after the January Joiners have abandoned their gym memberships.